For your diary - August 19, 2018
• Żebbuġ celebrates the feast of the Assumption of Our Lady today. Masses will be said at 5.30am, 7am, 8am,11am and 6.30pm. Gozo Bishop Mario Grech will concelebrate Pontifical Mass with the parish clergy and representatives of the Cathedral Chapter at 9am. Fr Marcello Ghirlando, OFM, will deliver the panegyric.
Marches by the Santa Marija Band will be played in the main streets of the village at 11.30am. The procession with the statue of Our Lady, led by Żebbuġ archpriest Reuben Micallef and accompanied by the Santa Marija Band, will start at 7.30pm. The Leone Band will give a concert at the main square. The procession will end with a fireworks display, the antiphon and sacramental benediction.
• Blood donation will be held at the Xewkija District Health Centre today from 8am to 1pm.
• The Gozo Philatelic Society has set up a new exhibit at Il-Ħaġar in Victoria. This temporary exhibition consists of lavishly decorated postcards from early years of the last century.
• The Victoria Scout Group is holding a barbecue at the campsite in Dwejra on Wednesday at 7.30pm. Tickets are available from the Scouts’ headquarters on 2155 6497, the GSL on 7955 5844 and Bookworm, Temprina and Office Club Stationeries in Victoria.
• A Marian manifestation will be held in Marsalforn on Tuesday. The public is kindly asked to be seated in Valley Road, where an animated rosary starts at 7pm. This will be followed by a concelebrated Mass led by Bishop Mario Grech.
• English organist Luke Mitchell will give a recital on the Noel Gallo and Michael Farley organ at Xewkija parish church. The concert, being held on Saturday at 7.30pm, is free. Designed for Xewkija parish church by Gallo, the organ is a three-manual instrument of 39 stops which also includes a set of 25 tubular bells.