Advert

What happened on... August 28

10, 25 and 50 years ago

10 years ago - The Times

Thursday, August 28, 2008

Migrants claim to have lost 70 at sea

Eight migrants brought ashore yesterday afternoon claimed to have lost around another 70 to the sea, the police said.

An armed forces Protector class patrol boat, in an operation some 40 miles off the coast, received the migrants from a fishing boat, Madonna Di Pompei, which had earlier rescued them from a dinghy that was taking in water.

Once onboard, the AFM confirmed that all the migrants were male and later transferred them to another patrol boat closer to shore, handing them over to the Immigration Police at the Maritime Squadron’s base in Haywharf.

Initial reports given to the Madonna Di Pompei and the AFM by the eight migrants indicated that they were the sole survivors from a larger group of 18. However, sources said that when they were landed at Haywharf by the AFM, the migrants claimed that their group was originally made up of about 78.

Observers commenting on this year’s illegal migration flows around Malta said this claim is more plausible since statistics this summer show that there have been fewer arrivals from small boats capable of taking up to 28 persons but more frequent detection and recoveries of large dinghies carrying between 77 and 95 migrants.

25 years ago - The Times

Saturday, August 28, 1993

Unusual haul

Thieves made off with an unusual haul from St Thomas Street, in Luqa on Thursday night.

They forced their way into a workshop garage, in which were two vehicles, a trailer and a Fontaine Jet 25 red speedboat.

They drove off in a metallic gold Cortina Mark 3, complete with the trailer and speedboat.

A Peugeot van was also stolen, however it was abandoned in Valletta Road, Luqa, apparently because of a mechanical fault it might have developed, police sources said.

Malta holiday cost slashed by £410 in price war

A two-week holiday for a family of four on half board in Malta will cost Britons £410 less next summer than this.

A price war between leading tour operators in Britain means holidaymakers can cash in “on a getaway giveaway”, according to the Daily Express.

The £410 saving on a Malta holiday is quoted for a stay at the Mellie─ža Bay Hotel, where a family of four will be spending £1,645 for its June holiday next year.

Half a century ago - Times of Malta

Wednesday, August 28, 1968

Dawn departure for Greek Royal party

Their Majesties King Constantine of Greece and Queen Anne Marie left yesterday at dawn for Syracuse aboard the Liberian-registered yacht Anemos I, which brought them to Malta five days ago on a private visit.

Anemos I was followed out of the Yachting Centre by the somewhat larger Pegasus II carrying Her Majesty Queen Frederika, the Queen Mother and King Constantine’s two children, Prince Paul and Princess Alexia.

Also aboard the Pegasus II is Princess Sophia, wife of Prince Juan Carlos heir apparent to the vacant Spanish throne, and her children Prince Filippo, Princess Helena and Princess Kristine. Princess Sophia is King Constantine’s sister.

Reliable sources say that the two yachts will stop at Syracuse and Catania before they go to Naples. The Royal party is expected to go overland to Rome.

The visit to Malta was a strictly private one.

Malta in UN seminar

A 24-country United Nations seminar on the elemination of racial discrimination opened today.

Comments not loading? We recommend using Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox with javascript turned on.
Comments powered by Disqus  
Advert
Advert