Advert

Xlendi Tower to be restored

€355,000 project will be co-funded by EU

Gozo’s oldest free standing coastal tower will be undergoing restoration and conservation works, following which an interpretation and tourist information centre will be constructed.

Xlendi Tower was built during the reign of the Knights of St. John led by Grand Master Lascaris in 1650. Its original function, which lasted until the 1870s, was to defend the bay from smugglers, pirates and quarantine evaders.

It will be restored with ERDF assistance of €284,000 in EU funding, while the whole project will cost €355,371.

Once all envisaged interventions are completed, Munxar Council in collaboration with Wirt Għawdex will prepare static displays within the interpretation centre as well as exhibitions and re-enactments.

The tower will also be powered by solar panels in the interest of preserving the environment.

Advert
Comments not loading? We recommend using Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox with javascript turned on.
Comments powered by Disqus  
Advert
Advert