Advert

Watch: Alonso keen for step forward as McLaren break cover with new car

Double world champion Fernando Alonso expects McLaren to take a step forward this year after the British outfit became Formula One’s last major team to unveil their car for the new campaign.

McLaren have endured a miserable run in recent years but - after ditching beleaguered engine partner Honda and teaming up with Renault - the Woking outfit will be desperate to move back up the grid in 2018.

Their new car sports a changed livery from last year’s design, with an all-orange bodywork and a blue front and rear wing.

Alonso, 36, looked certain to leave McLaren last year following a horrible season, but decided to extend his deal after the British team terminated their miserable relationship with Honda.

”Looking at our new car, I feel incredibly excited but also apprehensive,” said Alonso, who failed to finish more than half of the races last season.

”I know just how important this car is to the team, and I just hope that it delivers in the way we all want it to.

”If we’re able to develop the key strengths of last year’s chassis and marry it to an improved Renault power unit, then I think we’ll be able to take a step forwards.

”The car certainly looks very neat and well thought-out, and I think the new colour looks really great and really eye-catching.”

Alonso will once again be partnered by Belgian Stoffel Vandoorne, who enters his second season with the team. British teenager Lando Norris joins as McLaren’s reserve driver.

McLaren, a winner of 20 combined drivers’ and constructors’ championships, have not won a race since 2012 and have not had a car finish in the podium places for four years.

Lewis Hamilton won the last of their driver titles a decade ago.
But the feeling among the staff at Woking is one of optimism ahead of the new season which gets under way in Melbourne next month.

”The McLaren team was created by a brave pioneer, and has had bravery at its core ever since,” Zak Brown, the team’s American executive director said.

”Whether it’s been with brave drivers, brave leaders or brave fortune, this team has always fought back.

”And we definitely view 2018 as the year when McLaren will move closer to the front, fighting teams and drivers as we improve our fortunes.”

The new car will be put through its paces during a filming day in Spain on Friday before the opening four-day test of the winter which starts in Barcelona next week.

The new MCL33 car that was unveiled by McLaren on Friday.The new MCL33 car that was unveiled by McLaren on Friday.

Advert
Comments not loading? We recommend using Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox with javascript turned on.
Comments powered by Disqus  
Advert
Advert