McDonald's Valletta to close on Sunday

McDonald’s will be closing its Republic Street restaurant on Sunday, the company said today.

The decision is a direct result of a dispute with the landlords and a subsequent court ruling handed down in February that ordered the company to vacate the premises within 90 days.

McDonald’s said every effort had been made to try to find an amicable solution to the dispute but as this was not possible, it was left with no alternative but to close the restaurant.

The company said that having a restaurant in Valletta was a number one priority for the organisation. Numerous alternative sites were evaluated and negotiations are ongoing.

The company said it hoped to be in a position to open a new restaurant in Valletta in the near future and pointed out that no jobs would be lost as a result of the closure. All employees have been offered positions in other McDonald’s restaurants across Malta. 

The company also announced it recently concluded a deal to develop the brand’s new flagship restaurant in a key location in central Sliema, currently occupied by the De Tigne Complex. This new restaurant will be home to the largest McDonald’s and McCafe on the island  and is set to be inaugurated by the end of this year.


See our Comments Policy Comments are submitted under the express understanding and condition that the editor may, and is authorised to, disclose any/all of the above personal information to any person or entity requesting the information for the purposes of legal action on grounds that such person or entity is aggrieved by any comment so submitted. Please allow some time for your comment to be moderated.

Comments not loading? We recommend using Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox with javascript turned on.
Comments powered by Disqus