St George, Qormi

The parish dedicated to St George in Qormi is mentioned in the “Rollo” of Bishop Senatore de Mello, written in 1436, initially existing in the form of a small church. A larger church was built in the mid-15th century, however, the church was almost completely replaced when works commenced in the late 16th century to build the parish church that exists today.

Works on this new version of the church were complete in the early 17th century, however without the dome.

The architect of this parish church is unknown, although it has been tentatively attributed to architect Vittorio Cassar. The design of the dome is believed to have been built some 100 years after the commencement of the main construction phase of the church and is attributed to Lorenzo Gafa.

The current church consists of a cruciform layout with an imposing yet delicate tall façade with superimposed Doric pilasters. The centrepiece contains a steep raking cornice, the sides are topped with balustrades. The wings with their intercolumniation are carried up to form elegantly proportioned western towers each crowned by a balustrade and spire.

The Malta Environment and Planning Authority scheduled the parish church as a Grade 1 monument on August 26 as per Government Notice 782.

Comments not loading? We recommend using Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox with javascript turned on.
Comments powered by Disqus