Advert

Our Lady of Pompei, Marsaxlokk

The area of Marsaxlokk was considered a sacred locality for many centuries, as evidenced by the ancient temples built at Tas-Silġ. However, for a number of years this village was completely abandoned when Malta was continually raided by Moslem corsairs. By the 19th century Marsaxlokk established itself as a foremost fishing village and as a summer resort, and a church dedicated to our Lady of Pompei was built. This church became a parish in 1897.

Today, the parish is the venue of a national pilgrimage that is held every year on May 8.

In 1892, the church was originally built in a rectangular form with the designs attributed to Dun Ġużepp Diacono. It was enlarged in the early 1900s completely altering the shape to that of a Latin cross with the addition of east end transepts and a choir. These additions are attributed to architect Giuseppe Bellia. In the late 1920s further structural modifications were carried out under the direction of architect Giuseppe Lia when a new west front was constructed. The façade consists of a three-bay twin bell tower which contains superimposed large orders and a pseudo-baroque doorway recessed in a deep arched niche which swells up to occupy almost the entire central bay.

The Malta Environment and Planning Authority originally scheduled the parish church as a Grade 1 monument on March 10, 1995 as per Government Notice 153.

Comments not loading? We recommend using Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox with javascript turned on.
Comments powered by Disqus  
Advert
Advert