Advert

Historic Fawwara Gate inGżira – some clarifications

Further to the letter published by the undersigned about the old Gżira gate (April 6), interested readers should note the following corrections after communicating with Baron Salvino Testaferrata Moroni Viani.

First of all the monument is historically known as Fawwara Gate as it marked the boundaries of the territory known by that name forming part of the Testaferrata estates in the area. After consulting detailed 19th century drawings it is clear that the gateway presently stands in its original position and was never dismantled and moved, as was the Ta’ Xbiex Gate up the road in what is today Brockdorff Street, which was demolished on police orders sometime before 1989.

Furthermore, according to a public deed dating to 1933 the land and gate were leased to a nearby business establishment which is responsible for its maintenance. The Sliema Heritage Society once again strongly recommends that its restoration is carried out forthwith before it is too late and reaffirms its offer to assist where possible.

Advert
Comments not loading? We recommend using Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox with javascript turned on.
Comments powered by Disqus  
Advert
Advert