Advert

Restoration of St Catherine of Italy Church in final phase

The cupola of St Catherine of Italy church, restored in 2009 by Giuseppe Mantella Restauri with sponsorship by Bank of Valletta.

The cupola of St Catherine of Italy church, restored in 2009 by Giuseppe Mantella Restauri with sponsorship by Bank of Valletta.

Rimorchiatori Riuniti, the Italian company which took over the operations of Tug Malta, is to sponsor the final phase of the restoration of the Church of St Catherine of Italy in Valletta.

The church was built in September 1572 alongside the Auberge d’Italie and has been undergoing extensive external and internal restoration for the past 10 years.

The Italian Embassy in Malta recently took the initiative to ensure that the last phase of the restoration works is expedited so that completion may coincide with the feast of the patron saint on 25th November 2011. This is also a special year, being the 150th anniversary of Italy’s unification.

The final phase of the project consists of the restoration of the apse area of the two side altars and the choir area. Rimorchiatori Riuniti Group will financially support this phase of the project, thus joining other local and Italian-owned companies in Malta which also contributed to the project.

Italy’s Ambassador to Malta, Efisio Luigi Marras paid a courtesy visit to Tug Malta offices in Floriana, where he updated the company on the restoration progress and thanked Dott. Giovanni Delle Piane, President of Rimorchiatori Riuniti Group for the company’s contribution towards this restoration project.

Advert
Comments not loading? We recommend using Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox with javascript turned on.
Comments powered by Disqus  
Advert
Advert