Advert

Foundations of knights' bakery believed found in Strait Street

The old bakery of the knights, later replaced by Vincenti Building.

The old bakery of the knights, later replaced by Vincenti Building.

Sections of a wall believed to have been the foundation of the knights' bakery has been discovered in Strait Street, Valletta.

The discovery was made during trenching by Enemalta workers.

The workers uncovered sections of wall, in some cases four courses high.

Denis Darmanin, a student of Baroque architecture and an active volunteer within St. Augustine's Parish Church, said that what was particular about these remains was that they run parallel to the adjacent buildings in Strait Street, leading one to believe that they were very likely to be the foundations of the order's bakery.

The bakery was designed by Gerolamo Cassar in 1584 and had occupied the entire block bordered by Old Bakery Street, Melita Street, St. John Street and Strait Street. It produced most of the bread for Valletta and Floriana, as well as for the garrison and the Order's fleet.

The bakery continued to operate until the 19th century but slowly fell into a state of neglect and closed down.

In the1930s the building was bought by architect Ruggier Vincenti, who demolishing it and replaced it with the office and residential block which was named after him, Vincenti Buildings.

Arch. Vincenti had planned the new building with a slight set-back at Strait Street, giving this part of the road a widened section and better architectural perspective of his new building.

Advert
Comments not loading? We recommend using Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox with javascript turned on.
Comments powered by Disqus  
Advert
Advert