Advert

Protecting the most significant buildings, monuments and features of Pembroke (15)

Pembroke Battery and its gun emplacements

When the guns at Fort Pembroke needed to be upgraded, the British authorities decided it would be cheaper to construct a new battery. Pembroke Battery was commenced in 1897, completed in 1899, and armed with two 9.2-inch Breach Loading MK X guns, each in an open en barbette emplacement (a protective circular concrete emplacement around a gun which fired over the top of the parapet). Its magazines and other amenities were built underground.

The Battery was struck off the armaments list in 1919 and the guns were dismantled and remained unused. During the housing expansion programme in the 1980s, the western en barbette gun emplacement and part of the underground magazines were demolished for a new road and four housing units.

The remaining gun emplacement consists of a reinforced concrete semi-circular parapet shielding a platform on which the gun was mounted and traversed. Inside the wall of the gun emplacement are a number of expanse magazines for the storage of shells for immediate use in case of an emergency.

On each side of the battery are underground magazines, a telephone room, gun crew quarters and the artillery store. At the rear of the battery are the remains of the foundations of the Guard Room, ablutions and the gate, as well as the ditch and parts of the glacis where barbed wire provided additional security.

Mepa scheduled Pembroke Battery in 1996 as Grade 1 property of historic, architectural and contextual value as it forms part of a larger scheduled military complex and its protection status was retained and republished following a revision as per Government Notice number 880/09 dated October 30, 2009.

Comments not loading? We recommend using Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox with javascript turned on.
Comments powered by Disqus  
Advert
Advert