Advert

Protecting the most significant buildings, monuments and features of the Maltese islands (51)

Il-Ġonna tal-Kmand

Il-Ġonna tal-Kmand were a series of 21 gardens around Malta commissioned by Sir Alexander Ball in the first years of his time as Governor of Malta.

These gardens were originally aimed at increasing the greenery in the Maltese islands, however they were also used for agricultural experimentation.

Various new crops and agricultural practices were tried in these gardens, however the only tangible result to date is the potato crop which resulting in yielding greater revenue than cotton which was the main crop at the time.

The main characteristics of these gardens are their high boundary walls and the George III Royal cipher and inscription mentioning their introduction by Sir Alexander Ball placed over the entrances.

Most have a couple of service rooms incorporating pigeon holes, stone pathways flanked by stone pillars supporting trellises and stone water conduits fro irrigation.

Some of these gardens have been lost since their creation between 1802 and 1805, however most of the surviving ones are in a very good state of conservation due to being cared for by local councils on being leased to individuals.

All are still government-owned.

Mepa scheduled the surviving gardens in the localities of Attard/Lija, Għargħur, Gudja, Qrendi, Safi, Siġġiewi, Żabbar, Żebbuġ and Żejtun as Grade 1 national monuments as per Government Notice No. 590/09 in the Government Gazette dated July 28, 2009.

Advert
Comments not loading? We recommend using Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox with javascript turned on.
Comments powered by Disqus  
Advert
Advert