Advert

One World - Protecting the most significant buildings, monuments and features of Valletta (99)

Remains of the Belvedere and fountain of Ġnien is-Sultan

Grand Master Jean Paul Lascaris de Castellar (1636-1657) erected graceful fountains in his private garden known as Ġnien is-Sultan overlooking the Grand Harbour, consisting of an elevated open terrace between Lascaris Battery and Ta' Liesse church.

The garden was supplied with water from the Wignacourt's aqueduct. Only a nymphaeum/fountain and the belvedere survive to date and consist of a low boundary wall above a high blank wall which originally was the flank of part of the fortifications up It-Telgħa Ta' Liesse leading to Victoria Gate (previously del Monte gate). This garden was heavily disturbed when Lascaris Battery was built in 1853, and further by the construction of the case bottege on this side of the hill and even more in the 1980s by the construction of a social housing block.

The nymphaeum/fountain is a concave symmetrical structure with flanking bays, each element divided by pairs of attached Tuscan pillars.

In 1956 the circular fountain of Gnien is-Sultan was excavated from the ruins and taken to Argotti Gardens to form the centre piece in a garden square.

Mepa scheduled the Old Remains of the Belvedere and fountain of Ġnien is-Sultan as Grade 1 national monuments as per Government Notice No. 276/08 in the Government Gazette dated March 28, 2008.

Advert
Comments not loading? We recommend using Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox with javascript turned on.
Comments powered by Disqus  
Advert
Advert