What are my rights to study in another member state?

Students have the right to pursue their third level studies in another member state under the same conditions as nationals of that member state. Students from a European Union member state who intend to study in another member state for a period of more than three months must meet the following conditions:

• they must be enrolled at an approved educational establishment;

• they must be covered by adequate health insurance; and

• they must have sufficient means to prevent them becoming a burden on the social security system of the host member state.

If staying temporarily in a member state while studying there, students are entitled to all immediately necessary sickness benefits in kind.

To be eligible for such care, students should obtain a European Health Insurance Card prior to leaving home. In the event of sickness, this card can be presented to the public health authority in the host country.

For all healthcare benefits which are not immediately necessary, the student must ask for prior authorisation or return to the member state where he ordinarily lives.


See our Comments Policy Comments are submitted under the express understanding and condition that the editor may, and is authorised to, disclose any/all of the above personal information to any person or entity requesting the information for the purposes of legal action on grounds that such person or entity is aggrieved by any comment so submitted. Please allow some time for your comment to be moderated.

Comments not loading? We recommend using Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox with javascript turned on.
Comments powered by Disqus