Advert

One World - Protecting the most significant buildings, monuments and features of Valletta (34)

Fountain, now located in St Philip's Garden in Floriana

The fountain currently at St Philip's Garden in Floriana was originally located in Misraħ San Ġorġ in Valletta and consists of a large circular basin with three superimposed basins shaped like seashells, each one smaller than the one below it, supported on a cone-shaped pedestal with three dolphins with upturned tails.

This was the first fountain erected after the building of the Wignacourt aqueduct and was inaugurated during Eastertide, April 21, 1615. After the inauguration, great festivities were organised which included firework displays, games and races. All through the celebrations, the Grand Master handed out sums of money to the populace. The fountain was moved by the British military to St Philip Gardens, Floriana, so that the square could be used for military parades.

Mepa scheduled the Wignacourt Fountain as a Grade 1 national monument as per Government Notice No. 276/08 in the Government Gazette dated March 28.

Comments not loading? We recommend using Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox with javascript turned on.
Comments powered by Disqus  
Advert
Advert