Advert

One World - Protecting the most significant buildings, monuments and features of Valletta (32)

Ponsomby's Column

This monument to Sir Frederick Cavendish Ponsomby, who was governor of Malta between 1827 and 1836, was erected in 1838 on St Andrew's Bastion close to Triq il-Mitħna by the side of Hastings Garden.

It consisted of a Doric column 21 meters high topped by a stone funerary urn.

The monument was damaged by an earthquake in 1856 and then struck by lightning in 1874. The surviving base of the column was dismantled and re-erected on St Michael's Bastion in 1880. The remains of the square base are of local hard stone comprising a plinth on a three-stepped base.

Above the plinth is a garland surrounding the base of the column. On the front of the plinth there is an inscription with a dedication and another inscription in memory of the monument being struck by lightning.

Mepa scheduled Ponsomby's Column as a Grade 1 national monument as per Government Notice No. 276/08 in the Government Gazette dated March 28.

Advert
Comments not loading? We recommend using Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox with javascript turned on.
Comments powered by Disqus  
Advert
Advert