Advert

One World - Palazzo Parisio

This three-storey palace is located on Triq il-Merkanti and is adjacent to Auberge de Castille and facing Auberge d'Italie. Its main façade is symmetrically designed and is defined by a central columned doorway featuring a timber balcony at the main reception room.

There are three windows flanking the doorway on each side, with the ones at ground floor having large wrought iron 'pregnant' grilles with small square windows. Another floor was added at roof level after the First World War to house the Audit Office. Parts of the building, especially the façade, sustained substantial damage during World War II and were rebuilt.

The site of the palazzo was previously occupied by two town houses belonging to Chev. Michel Fonterme and Francesco These which were later purchased by the Balì of Manosca, Comm. Fra Giovanni di Ventimiglia. In 1717, the Ventimiglia family exchanged these two houses for another two owned by Donna Maria Sceberras. Monsignor Dominico Sciberras inherited the properties and demolished them to erect the current palace. After the death of Mgr Sceberras in 1744 the property passed on to the Muscati family and then inherited by Cavalier Paolo Parisio Muscati who was the son of heiress Anna Muscati and who was the leader of the Naxxar insurgents against the French.

Napoleon Bonaparte stayed at Palazzo Pariso for six days during his sojourn in Malta between June 12-20, 1798, and Sir Ralph Abercrombie lodged at Palazzo Parisio for some days while on route to fight the French in Egypt. Between 1887 till the 1960s Palazzo Parisio was used as the General Post Office.

Mepa scheduled Palazzo Parisio as a Grade 1 national monument as per Government Notice No. 276/08 in the Government Gazette dated March 28.

Advert
Comments not loading? We recommend using Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox with javascript turned on.
Comments powered by Disqus  
Advert
Advert