Advert

Protecting the most significant buildings, monuments and features of Valletta (14)

Church of St Nicholas

In 1639, the Church of St Nicholas was ceded from the Greek Orthodox parish to the Confraternity of the Souls in Purgatory (Ta' l-Erwieħ).

Soon after, it was decided to replace the existing church by an entirely new building to the design of Italian architect Francesco Buonamici and was consequently rebuilt in 1652.

This church consists of a centrally planned Greek cross with shortened transverse arms with a dome over the crossing and an apsed choir.

A small sacristy flanks the choir and it has a single bell tower on the rear.

The façade follows a basic arrangement with three bays at ground level and a central bay on the upper level.

The church of St Nicholas was severely damaged during the World War II and its main façade was totally reconstructed.

Mepa scheduled the Church of St Nicholas as a Grade 1 national monument as per Government Notice No. 276/08 in the Government Gazette dated March 28.

Comments not loading? We recommend using Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox with javascript turned on.
Comments powered by Disqus  
Advert
Advert