Advert

Palazzo Falson

Photo taken from Museums of Malta 360°

Photo taken from Museums of Malta 360°

Palazzo Falson, in Mdina, was bought by Captain Olof Frederick Gollcher OBE in 1927. An ardent collector, he had amassed an important collection of historical and artistic works by the time of his death in 1962. In his will, he left instructions for the setting up of a foundation bearing his name to ensure that the house and its contents were preserved as a museum.

In 2001, Fondazzjoni Patrimonju Malti entered into a management agreement with the Gollcher Foundation, whereby it would restore the palazzo and its contents, and open it to the public.

Ongoing research by Fondazzjoni Patrimonju Malti is shedding new light on the collections.

The picture below is a view of the dining room after its extensive restoration and refurbishment. The portrait to the right of the mantelpiece is by George Bonavia and shows Capt. Gollcher's grandfather, Chevalier Olof Frederik Gollcher.

The marble bust in the corner on the left is a classically-inspired portrait of Napoleon Bonaparte, modelled after the one by Antoine-Denis Chaudet in 1804.

The table is set with a selection of Venetian glass and silver plate from the palazzo's silver collection of over 800 pieces. The silver-covered jug, which may have been used to serve wine, is one of the finest examples of Maltese silver from the time of Grand Master de Rohan.

The painting visible through the doorway shows Lucretia stabbing herself, and has recently been attributed to Mattia Preti by John Spike, a noted authority on this artist's work.

This series is appearing every Saturday in collaboration with Miranda Publishers.

www.mirandabooks.com

Comments not loading? We recommend using Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox with javascript turned on.
Comments powered by Disqus  
Advert
Advert