Norwegian police are to question 32-year-old Anders Behring Breivik again about the bombing and shooting massacre that killed at least 76 people.

Police lawyer Paal-Fredrik Hjort Kraby told a news conference they will interview him again on Friday.

Breivik has confessed to the attacks, saying he was trying to save the Western world from Muslim colonisation and justifying the rampage in a 1,500-page anti-immigrant manifesto.

His lawyer has said he considers himself a "saviour" and that it is likely he is insane. He has pleaded not guilty to the terrorism charges he faces.

Breivik claimed wide contact with individuals and groups he says support his opposition to immigration. But questions persist about whether there was a genuine network or if Breivik's statements were exaggerations.

Norway's response to the camp attack, on the island of Utoya, has been criticised.

Though it is just 25 miles (40 kms) from Oslo, it took police 90 minutes to get there. The crew of the sole helicopter available to police was on holiday, and the first boat that officials tried to take to the island broke down.

The leader of Norway's Delta Force anti-terror police unit defended the special operations team and said the breakdown did not cause a significant delay. The team jumped into other boats and got to Utoya quickly, police officials said.

Police gave an eerie account of the end of the siege, saying Breivik obediently gave up the moment police approached him, holding his hands over his head.

"It was a completely normal arrest," said officer Haavard Gaasbakk.

Prime Minister Jens Stoltenberg said an independent commission will be formed to investigate the attacks and determine what lessons can be learned from the response.

The commission is also to help survivors and relatives cope with the aftermath. Parliament said it is willing to help pay for funerals, and a monument will be built to commemorate the victims.

He said Norway will never be the same, but insisted the massacre should not change the country's culture of tolerance, calling on Norwegians to embrace the openness Breivik said he was trying to destroy.

The national sense of heartbreak is being renewed daily as police slowly release names of the dead. The identities of only 17 of those known to have been killed have been officially confirmed. Eight died in the explosion and 68 died in the camp shootings.

The youngest-known victim so far has been identified - camper Sharidyn Svebakk-Boehn, who turned 14 five days before the rampage.

Another victim confirmed dead at the camp was a stepbrother of Crown Princess Mette-Matrit, 51-year-old police officer Trond Berntsen, who had been providing security on the island.

An employee of Stoltenberg's office, 51-year-old Anne Lise Holter, was confirmed as one of the eight dead in the bomb blast.

Norwegian media, meanwhile, suggested that police knew Breivik's identity even before they reached Utoya, tracing him through a rental car company from which he rented the panel van used for the bomb.

Dag Andre Johansen, Scandinavian CEO of Avis car rental company, said that Breivik had rented two vehicles, including a Volkswagen Crafter van.

He said police contacted the company after the bombing and got Breivik's identity confirmed. But he declined to say whether that contact came before Breivik was arrested on the island.

Independent journalism costs money. Support Times of Malta for the price of a coffee.

Support Us