Juan Manuel Vargas is on his way out of Fiorentina after it was revealed that coach Vincenzo Montella’s has omitted the Peru winger from his plans.

Last season, Vargas, 29, was on loan at Genoa after a four-year stint in Florence. He has already been linked with a move to Russia’s Rubin Kazan.

“When he came back from the loan spell at Genoa, we were told that he was on the market because he doesn’t fit into Vincenzo Montella’s plans,” agent Jorge Cyszterpiller said.

“At the moment we are not negotiating with other clubs, but it will not be difficult to find him a new contract.”

Klinsmann banned

United States coach Jurgen Klinsmann has been suspended for the Gold Cup final for showing dissent on the sideline following his side’s 3-1 semi-final victory over Honduras.

The ban was announced yes-terday by the CONCACAF disciplinary committee after it re-viewed a report from the referee of Wednesday’s match.

Klinsmann, who had been unhappy with a series of what he perceived as non-calls and hard tackles against his team, was asked to leave the technical area after “showing dissent towards the referee by throwing the ball in a violent manner”.

The US will seek their fifth Gold Cup title when they face Panama tonight in Chicago.

Sagbo completes switch to Hull City

Hull have confirmed the signing of Ivory Coast international striker Yannick Sagbo from French club Evian. The Premier League newcomers confirmed they had signed Sagbo on a two-year deal for an undisclosed fee.

“I am so happy to have signed for Hull City, and I am very grateful for the opportunity,” Sagbo told reporters.

“I can’t wait to get going, and I look forward to meeting my new team-mates.”

France-born Sagbo, an Ivory Coast international, had previously been linked to Celtic and West Ham, the club of his half-brother Guy Demel.

Wenger says ready to wait for Suarez

Arsene Wenger has revealed he is prepared to wait for his transfer targets.

The Gunners have already put in a £40m bid for Liverpool striker Luis Suarez but Wenger is relaxed about the lack of progress on the deal and is not expecting transfer activity ahead of the Emirates Cup next weekend.

“We are ready to do deals but all the transfers do not depend only on us,” said Wenger.

“But we are prepared to wait. It looks unlikely before the Emirates Cup. We still have a strong squad but we are there on the market to try to strengthen our team. With or without additions we can be title challengers next season.”

Astori not leaving

Cagliari have made it clear they will not part company with defender Davide Astori following reports linking the Azzurri man with a move elsewhere.

Astori is a top transfer target for big-spenders Napoli, Milan and Southampton in the English Premier League.

Milan look favourites to land Astori if he decides to move as he will link up with his former coach Massimiliano Allegri.

However, Cagliari president Massimo Cellino rubbished the reports.

“Astori to Milan? I can absolutely rule that out,” Cellino said.

“I don’t know where this news is coming from. There are no negotiations in place... the player will remain at Cagliari.”

Woods making a big impression

Anders Lindegaard has claimed new Manchester United goalkeeping coach Chris Woods is a welcome addition to the Old Trafford gang.

Former England no.1 Woods replaced Eric Steele in the backroom shake-up that accompanied manager David Moyes’s arrival as Alex Ferguson’s replacement. And while Steele has been credited with coaxing the dramatic improvement from David de Gea, Lindegaard is delighted with the work Woods has been doing as well.

“It is very different with Chris compared to what we are used to,” said Lindegaard.

“All I can say is that I have had a very good impression of him. I don’t want to go into details but everything is different... I am enjoying working with him.”

Liverpool FC is ‘not for sale’

Liverpool have denied the club has been put up for sale by its American owners.

Fenway Sports Group was reported yesterday to be ready to consider offers for the English club. The Sun claimed Liverpool is “unofficially” on the market with a price tag of £350 million. However, Liverpool state that is not the case.

A club spokesperson said: “Fenway Sports Group has made its position clear, Liverpool Football Club is not for sale. There is no truth in this story.”

The Sun reported that Fenway Sports Group received a takeover proposal from Saudi Arabian oil firm Saudi Aramco recently.

Independent journalism costs money. Support Times of Malta for the price of a coffee.

Support Us