Advert

National

Van catches fire in Luqa

A refrigerator van was destroyed in a fierce fire in Council of Europe Road near Luqa this afternoon. No one appears to have been injured but the road, leading to Marsa, was closed.  People on the scene said they had heard an explosion before the van turned into a fireball.

  • Beppe Fenech Adami: my fight against cancer

    Beppe Fenech Adami: my fight against cancer

    Beppe Fenech Adami is mentally prepared to “bite the bullet” and have an operation to remove a 15cm malignant tumour from his back. Staring pensively ahead, the Nationalist Party’s deputy leader admitted he is still in shock and in a “mess” as he...

  • Press digest

    Press digest

    The following are the top stories in the national and international news today. Times of Malta interviews Beppe Fenech Adami who says he is mentally prepared to “bite the bullet” and have an operation to remove a 15cmmalignant tumour from his back.

  • Abducted man still alive, say unverified reports

    A Maltese man abducted in Libya last week is no closer to being released, but the government said yesterday that it “appears (he) is still alive”. The government said it was intensifying its diplomatic and political efforts to secure Martin...

  • Smart card abolished in favour of student grants

    Some 18,000 students will no longer need to use their smart card to buy academic resources, following the decision to abolish a scheme originally intended to ensure taxpayers’ money was not being misused. From September, students at post secondary...

  • Emissions danger alert for Valletta

    The new traffic management plans in Valletta will increase emissions in the capital as vehicles are forced to make a steep uphill climb, according to environmental NGO Flimkien Għal Ambjent Aħjar. The Valletta council unveiled a quicker route in...

  • PN’s warning on electricity

    The government will no longer be in control of electricity generation as a result of a Bill approved by Parliament on Friday which triggered the start of the Enemalta’s “privatisation”, the Nationalist Party said yesterday. The Opposition voted...

  • Objector loses his right to appeal flats’ decision

    Objector loses his right to appeal flats’ decision

    Resident and registered objector Stephen Saliba has lost the right to appeal against the decision allowing a mega block to be constructed in Żbibu Lane, San Ġwann, because he was not informed by the planning authority of the permit. The developer,...

  • Deficit rise ‘alarming’ warns PN

    The public service wage bill has increased by €25 million in the first half of the year, leading to an alarming rise in the deficit, the Nationalist Party said yesterday. In a statement, the PN hit out at the government for being unable to rein in...

  • Academics: condemn Israel raids

    A total of 74 academics from the University Of Malta have called on the government to condemn the “Israeli aggression” against Gaza. The academics echoed the call of seven Nobel Peace Prize winners, intellectuals and artists from the world for a...

  • Shearwaters are released

    Four young shearwaters have been successfully released after they were found on land, disorientated by coastal light pollution, researchers from the Birdlife’s EU Life+ Malta Seabird Project said. During their first flying attempts, young birds...

  • Bodies of migrants released for burial

    Bodies of migrants released for burial

    A magistrate investigating the death of 29 people on a migrant boat last week has released the bodies for burial after consultation with Italian judicial authorities. The migrants drowned in the lower deck of a boat believed to have been carrying...

  • Kidnappers may be after a ransom

    Kidnappers may be after a ransom

    The disappearance of Martin Galea in Libya last week may be one of many kidnappings perpetrated by groups seeking ransom money. A Libyan source, who asked to remain anonymous, said Mr Galea’s abduction was unlikely to have political...

  • Friends hope military background will help

    Friends hope military background will help

    Friends of the Maltese oil worker abducted in Libya hope that his military background will help him remain focused and get through the ordeal. “He can be a positive guy, even more so if he sees a way out… his training will help him stay focused.

  • Motorists driven up wall as fireworks close roads

    Motorists driven up wall as fireworks close roads

    Motorists are being driven to distraction by the police’s decision to close a number of major arterial roads to accommodate feast enthusiasts this weekend. Last weekend part of Regional Road was inaccessible in the evenings due to the Msida...

  • Updated: Government reiterates advice against all travel to Libya

    Updated: Government reiterates advice against all travel to Libya

    The government last night reiterated its advice against all travel to Libya. It said in a statement that in view of the worsening situation it also encouraged the Maltese still in Libya to leave the country using commercial means. The government...

  • Updated: Injured Libyans brought to Malta for treatment

    Updated: Injured Libyans brought to Malta for treatment

    Three Libyans, two of them injured, were brought to Malta for treatment last night They arrived in an Air Ambulance from Tripoli and were taken from Mater Dei Hospital to Mater Dei, where a section has been set up for the purpose.

  • Plying their trade in The Merchant of Venice

    Plying their trade in The Merchant of Venice

    Actors perform in MADC’s production of William Shakespeare’s classic The Merchant of Venice during an eight-night run at San Anton Gardens. The production runs until Wednesday.

  • Multi-faith prayers for dead migrants

    Multi-faith prayers for dead migrants

    A Catholic priest and the Imam this afternoon prayed for migrants who died in a tragedy at sea in the Mediterranean last Friday. Hundreds of migrants are believed to have died in the tragedy. A total of 29 bodies were brought to Malta. The...

  • Filipino worker released from detention centre

    Filipino worker released from detention centre

    A Filipino man held in a detention centre after being arrested for working illegally was released on bail just days after his plight was featured in Times of Malta. Jayson Vizconde, 35, was given bail on Thursday, against a standard €1,000...

  • Pets offered final farewell under cemetery proposal

    Pets offered final farewell under cemetery proposal

    Pet owners will soon be able to preserve the ashes of their beloved pets in a pigeonhole in the wall after burial proposals were shot down in previous years. Animal lovers have, for years, been calling for a place where they can put their dead...