Updated: Application for five star hotel in Ghadira Bay 'in advanced stage'
An application for the building of a 250-room five-star hotel at Għadira bay is in an advanced stage of consideration by the planning authority.
The development was proposed by Anthony Curmi, the owner of the Costa del Sol Restaurant, who wants to redevelop the premises into a six-storey hotel.
The proposal, submitted last year, includes the taking over of public land used as a car park next to the building and developing the area next to the beach.
When contacted, a spokesman for Tourism Minister Edward Zammit Lewis said: “This particular application has been considered by the MTA in its first stage. A final decision will be taken once all the information is available.”
Mr Curmi said he was optimistic that Mepa would approve the application. “I want to invest €40 million in a five-star hotel that will transform this area into an upmarket destination,” Mr Curmi said.
“We have applied to Mepa and we are already at a very advanced stage. I see no valid reason why this development cannot take place,” Mr Curmi said.
On its website, the company says the conditions set by the government to give the green light for the hotel are: that the development should be a five-star hotel, that there should be a public car park for 300 cars, there should be a public conveniences to replace the one that will be demolished.
"Currently, the Malta Tourism Authority has issued its permits and the Full Development Permit to be issued by the Malta Environment and Planning Authority is in its final stages of being issued."
Negotiations are also underway with luxury brand hotel chains to conclude a management / operational franchise for the hotel.
More in the Sunday Times of Malta and the e-paper on timesofmalta.com Premium.