Advert

‘Napoleon’ map gives a tantalising clue to the past

Rare find in German library reveals details of Filfla, aqueduct and reef

The 1798 map engraved by the Probst family in Augsburg.

The 1798 map engraved by the Probst family in Augsburg.

A structure comprising a fort, a lighthouse and a monastery with a chapel apparently dominated the islet of Filfla some 200 years ago, according to a very rare and previously unknown map of Malta which recently surfaced in a library in Germany.

The map was discovered by German scholar Michael Ritter, who is a specialist in the cartographers of Augsburg and who brought it to the attention of the Malta Map Society.

The map, says the society’s secretary Joseph Schirò, is extremely rare and to date its existence was unknown even to society president Albert Ganado, who has been studying Maltese maps for 60 years.

It is the only one known to exist and is found in the Bavarian State Library in Munich.

Filfla was heavily bombed by the British forces, who used it as a target for naval bombing for many years.

Read more on Times of Malta.

 

Advert

See our Comments Policy Comments are submitted under the express understanding and condition that the editor may, and is authorised to, disclose any/all of the above personal information to any person or entity requesting the information for the purposes of legal action on grounds that such person or entity is aggrieved by any comment so submitted. Please allow some time for your comment to be moderated.

Comments not loading? We recommend using Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox with javascript turned on.
Comments powered by Disqus  
Advert
Advert