Advert

Interest calls for casinos in Malta, Gozo issued

Video: Jason Borg

The government has issued two calls for expressions of interest for 10-year concessions of a casino in Malta and another in Gozo.

Parliamentary Secretary for the Economic Growth Edward Zammit Lewis said the international call was issued today.

The government wanted to hear ideas from potential investors on how the casinos could be incorporated into larger projects, such as hotels or shopping malls.

Dr Zammit Lewis said the casino industry has been in Malta since 1964. In 2008, it contributed €10 million in taxes going up to €13.5 in 2012.

The call closes on July 1. There will no appeal stage.

Professional people from the Lotteries and Gaming Authority will be answering queries and clarifications between June 10 and 21.

Dr Zammit Lewis said he was confident interest would be shown in the calls and he had already spoken to public sector.

Asked about the Casino di Venezia, he said the licence was still suspended and the government was evaluating the situation.

Advert

Comments are submitted under the express understanding and condition that the editor may, and is authorised to, disclose any/all of the above personal information to any person or entity requesting the information for the purposes of legal action on grounds that such person or entity is aggrieved by any comment so submitted.

At this time your comment will not be displayed immediately upon posting. Please allow some time for your comment to be moderated before it is displayed.

For more details please see our Comments Policy

Comments not loading? We recommend using Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox with javascript turned on.
Comments powered by Disqus
Advert
Advert