Advert

Man and sister rescued from fire

An animal welfare officer stands outside the house in St Julian’s where a fire broke out yesterday morning. Photo: Darrin Zammit Lupi

An animal welfare officer stands outside the house in St Julian’s where a fire broke out yesterday morning. Photo: Darrin Zammit Lupi

A man and his sister were rescued from their St Julian’s home after becoming trapped by a fire which engulfed the front door yesterday.

The siblings, both over 60, waited on the roof as Civil Protection Department personnel extinguished the blaze.

The fire broke out at about 7.30am at the house. No one was injured.

Once the fire was controlled, the siblings were helped out of the house located in Trejqet Il-Bajja, right next door to Peperoncino Restaurant, and treated for smoke inhalation.

Their dog and three cats were taken out of the house with the assistance of animal welfare officers and then handed over to relatives to look after them until their owners could return home.

The rescuers on site said the fire was caused when the main switch, located just behind the main door, short-circuited. The glass panes that made up most of the inner door shattered with the heat.

Enemalta workers were called in to disconnect the power supply to the house.

CPD director Patrick Murgo said that all electrical points and appliances could short-circuit. Main switches were not particularly prone to catching fire.

It was important to regularly inspect electrical points and appliances and ensure that they were not overloaded.

“It is important to have a fire extinguisher and a fire blanket at home and, more importantly, to know how to use them,” Mr Murgo said.

Advert

Comments are submitted under the express understanding and condition that the editor may, and is authorised to, disclose any/all of the above personal information to any person or entity requesting the information for the purposes of legal action on grounds that such person or entity is aggrieved by any comment so submitted.

At this time your comment will not be displayed immediately upon posting. Please allow some time for your comment to be moderated before it is displayed.

For more details please see our Comments Policy

Comments not loading? We recommend using Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox with javascript turned on.
Comments powered by Disqus
Advert
Advert