Simon Busuttil will not seek re-election as PN deputy leader
PN deputy leader Simon Busuttil has declared that he will not seek re-election as PN deputy leader.
He has not decided yet whether to present his name for the leadership of his party.
He made his statement on TVAM.
He said the PN needs to be brought into the 21st century.
Dr Busuttil confirmed yesterday that he intends to resign his seat in the European Parliament, where he has been serving since 2004.
Dr Busuttil performed well in Saturday's general election and was elected from two district, but he has faced criticism for having formed part of the team that led the PN when it lost so heavily.
Writing in The Times yesterday, he said that when he became deputy leader, he knew that he was going to face an election campaign in which Labour had an almost unassailable lead. And he also knew that the post would be statutorily up for re-election immediately after the election.
"So I am prepared to face the consequences."
Among those who have indicted that Dr Busuttil should go was Nationalist MP Robert Arrigo, also elected from two districts, who yesterday wrote on facebook:
"So far only Dr Gonzi and Dr Borg Olivier have shouldered responsibility. Others should follow suit and not get excuses of coming here only recently.
A clean and total change is the only remedy for such a disaster."