Advert

Berthing facility in front of Maċina approved

Il-Maċina seen from Grand Harbour marina. Photo: Matthew Mirabelli

Il-Maċina seen from Grand Harbour marina. Photo: Matthew Mirabelli

A berthing facility along the waterfront in front of the Maċina in Dockyard Creek was approved by the planning authority this morning.

The proposal incorporates a floating wooden pontoon connected to the quay by two bridges, anchored by sinkers at both ends.

It would provide landing stages for people to alight from boats and use the facilities inside the Maċina. The proposal also features three perpendicular berths to the south of the Maċina. Boats would be detached from the historic building by about five metres.

Il-Maċina, home to the Labour Party’s headquarters for many years, was originally built by the knights as a machine to lift masts from galleys.

The plan was being objected to by the Heritage Planning Unit, which said the building should be left free from structures – including the pontoon – as it “clutters” the Grade 1 scheduled fortifications.

But architect Edwin Mintoff, who represented the developer, had shown an 1838 painting of Dockyard Creek by Charles de Brocktorff.

Advert

See our Comments Policy

Comments are submitted under the express understanding and condition that the editor may, and is authorised to, disclose any/all of the above personal information to any person or entity requesting the information for the purposes of legal action on grounds that such person or entity is aggrieved by any comment so submitted.

Please allow some time for your comment to be moderated.

Comments not loading? We recommend using Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox with javascript turned on.
Comments powered by Disqus
Advert
Advert