Advert

Former port workers to hold Valletta protest

Former port workers are to hold a protest outside the Auberge de Castille on November 22 to insist on their right to a share in a pension fund.

GWU General secretary Tony Zarb complained at a press conference this morning that the government had been ignoring the workers’ long-standing claims to the fund.

He said the union recently wrote to the prime minister to insist on the workers’ case, but Dr Gonzi had referred the workers to the Attorney General.

The workers, just over 600, say they have a right to the fund which was in place before the port works reform some years ago, The fund used to be administered by port workers, shipping agents and the government. It was set up by law in 1974 and at one point the kitty had some €47 million in it.

The workers say that after every reform, port workers, including those who are  retired, always received a lump sum payment from the fund.   

Mr Zarb said that in the same way as the government wanted to find a solution to the former shareholders of the National Bank, it should find a solution for these workers.

Advert

Comments are submitted under the express understanding and condition that the editor may, and is authorised to, disclose any/all of the above personal information to any person or entity requesting the information for the purposes of legal action on grounds that such person or entity is aggrieved by any comment so submitted.

At this time your comment will not be displayed immediately upon posting. Please allow some time for your comment to be moderated before it is displayed.

For more details please see our Comments Policy

Comments not loading? We recommend using Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox with javascript turned on.
Comments powered by Disqus
Advert
Advert