Forthcoming events for your diary
• A bazaar in aid of St Gregory’s parish church, Sliema, will be held at the parish centre in Blanche Huber Street, Sliema, from tomorrow to Wednesday, from 8.30am to 2pm and from 4 to 7.30pm.
• The Bank of Valletta Philately Club is holding a meeting at the Fatima Sanctuary Convent, Guardamangia, on Tuesday at 6pm. For more information, call 7931 5509.
• The Importance and Value of Women Serving on Corporate Boards is the topic of a talk to be given by Mary Dwyer on Tuesday at 3pm at the Malta Chamber of Commerce, Enterprise and Industry in Valletta.
Dr Dwyer is president and CEO of the Institute for the International Education of Students Abroad, one of the US’s oldest, largest and most academically reputable not-for-profit study abroad programme providers for US college and university students. The talk is being organised by the chamber in collaboration with the US Embassy. The event will also be addressed by chamber president Tancred Tabone and US Ambassador Gina Abercrombie Winstanley.
Members interested in attending are asked to call Bernice Azzopardi on 2203 2306 or e-mail [email protected].
• Caritas Cooperators are organising a day on Wednesday at the Preluna Hotel Sliema, starting at 10.30am with coffee, a talk by Peter Cordina on safety in the house and outside at 11am, Mass at noon and lunch at 1pm. Cards may be played in the afternoon. For more information, call Olga Muscat on 2133 0132, Josephine Farrugia on 2132 0016, Phyllis Ciappara on 2134 2910 or Evelyn Zammit on 2132 2466.
• Fr Alfred Micallef, SJ, will lead a weekend retreat/seminar on the Gospel of St Luke, which will be read during the next liturgical year. The seminar will consider who this evangelist is, for whom he wrote his gospel, and how he presents Jesus. It will be held at Manresa retreat house, Victoria, from Friday evening to the afternoon of November 18. People wishing to take part should call 2155 6635.
• The Mission Fund is organising a tea tombola in aid of Maltese missionaries working in Third World countries next Sunday at 3.30pm at the Imperial Hotel, Sliema. Tickets at €5 (without transport) and €7 (with transport) can be obtained from the Mission Fund at Eureka Court, Blk A/Flt 6, Main Street, Mosta (tel: 2141 3664) or Speranza Xuereb (tel: 79/2141 0860). Tickets will be sold at the door if still available.
Later this month
• The Malta Association for Professionals in Learning Difficulties (APLD) is holding its annual general meeting on November 28 between 6 and 8pm at St Michael’s Foundation Junior School, Alamein Street, St Andrew’s, Pembroke.
The main event of this AGM will be a talk for professionals by Christine Xuereb and Kevin Cardona on the Dyslexia Guidebook for Parents.
All professionals working with children and young adults are encouraged to attend. The APLD executive council is also accepting nominations for the election of members.
Nominations have to be formally made and seconded in writing. These are to be submitted to the secretary up to a week prior to the AGM on [email protected] by November 21. For more in-formation call Pamela Fenech on 7909 2910.
• The Association of Lyceum Past Students (ALPS) will hold a cultural tour on November 24, including visits to a bee hatchery in Safi and Limestone Heritage in Siġġiewi. The price, including light lunch, is €12 per person and €16 including transpsort.
Transport will be available from in front of San Ġwann parish church at 9am. Those using their own transport will meet at No. 28, St Paul Street, Safi, at 10am. For booking, call Alex Borg on 2138 6812 or 9988 8579 or e-mail [email protected].
• The Women’s Section of Our Lady of the Lily musical society of Mqabba is organis-ing a high tea on November 25 at the Waterfront Hotel, Sliema. Everyone can attend. Transport will leave Mqabba Square at 1.30pm. Book-ings on 7953 9542. For more information visit www.talgilju.com.
• McDonald’s is holding its annual McHappy day to raise funds for L-Istrina on December 1.
• The traditional Christmas bazaar in Paola will be held at the parish hall, Church Avenue, from December 1 to 9. There will be toys, plants, decorations, books, drinks and clothes for sale. Opening hours are from 9am to noon and from 4.30 to 8pm.
• Fr Godwin Preca, SJ, will lead a weekend retreat as a preparation for Christmas during which participants will reflect and pray on the Mystery of the Incarnation. The retreat will be held at Manresa retreat house, Victoria, from December 7 to 9. To book, call 2155 6635.