Updated: Claudette Pace to seek legal advice on termination of broadcasting career
Television present and Nationalist Party candidate Claudette Pace will be seeking legal advice on the protection of her right to continue to earn a living irrespective of her political activities, she said this evening.
Ms Pace was reacting to a statement issued earlier today by Public Broadcasting Services, saying it had written to Ms Pace’s production house, asking for an alternative presenter for Ms Pace's programme Sellili as from October 1.
PBS said it was doing this following the announcement that Ms Pace would be contesting the next elections as a PN candidate.
In her statement, Ms Pace expressed her disappointment at the way her 17-year career as a broadcasting professional had been prejudiced but said she fully understood the constraints under which PBS had to operate, that were imposed by the Broadcasting Authority in the context of short-sighted and restrictive interpretations of broadcasting balance.
These had been brought into play because of the way Labour chose to conduct itself in this area.
In view of this, Ms Pace said, she will be seeking legal advice as to the protection of her right to continue to earn a living irrespective of her political activities, especially with regard to the possibility of discrimination towards her, as many individuals had in the past been allowed to participate in programmes without the sort of limitations that were being imposed on her.
She said she was fiercely proud of her acceptance as a Nationalist candidate and that she would do her utmost to see the party elected to government once again to continue its excellent service to the country and the people.