Sinclair nears Man. City switch
Scott Sinclair appears to be closing in on a move to Manchester City after the champions tabled an offer for the Swansea winger.
The 23-year-old has informed Swansea manager Michael Laudrup he has no desire to sign a new deal at the Liberty Stadium, and with his current contract set to expire next summer he was always likely to be sold.
Man. City have long been the favourites to sign the former Chelsea man and reports say they have firmed up their interest by making a bid, believed to be in the region of £5 million.
Ben Arfa banned for Euro outings
Hatem Ben Arfa will miss the start of Newcastle’s Europa League campaign as he serves a suspension dating back to 2010.
Alan Pardew and his players will fly out to Greece today for their first leg of the play-off with Atromitos, but the Frenchman will not be with them as he starts a three-match ban incurred during his time at Marseille.
The 25-year-old was sent off in Marseille’s 2-1 home defeat by Benfica in March 2010.
Ben Arfa joined Newcastle on loan later that year and has had no opportunity since to serve his ban.
Arsenal set to seal Sahin swoop
Arsenal are expected to formalise the loan signing of Real Madrid midfielder Nuri Sahin this week.
Sahin representatives have been in Madrid looking to arrange the 23-year-old’s departure after it became clear he was no longer in Jose Mourinho’s first-team plans.
Liverpool have also expressed an interest in Sahin, but Arsenal are reported to be his preferred destination, although that will be on loan rather than a permanent move.
Wenger made it clear he would still be open to more new arrivals.
“We are looking to bring one more midfielder in of course, and maybe one defender as well because we still feel we are short in some positions,” Wenger said.
Billionaire Soros invests in United
US billionaire George Soros has bought a stake in Manchester United, the club that made its Wall Street debut earlier this month, according to a filing with US regulators.
Soros’s investment firm bought approximately 3.1 million Class A shares, or 7.85 per cent of the total Class A shares, a filing with the US Securities and Exchange Commission said.
That comprises 1.9 per cent of Manchester United, when the powerful Class B shares held by members of the Glazer family, who control and direct the club, are taken into account.
Class B shares enjoy 10 times the voting rights in the company as compared with Class A shares.
Cerci on his way to Torino
Fiorentina winger Alessio Cerci is set to join Torino this week after discussions between the two clubs are now close to a conclusion.
Reports said Torino will pay the fee of €2.5m for the 25-year-old Cerci to get 50 per cent share in him as well as having the option to sign the player in 2013.
Cerci, formerly of Roma and Atalanta, has also agreed personal terms on a contract worth €800,000 until next May.
He failed to live up to expectations last season, where he played 23 matches, and was constantly jeered by the Fiorentina fans for his poor form.
Scharner facing six-week lay-off
Hamburg defender Paul Scharner has been ruled out for six weeks with a knee injury.
The 32-year-old Austrian suffered a ligament tear in his right knee during training yesterday and is set to be sidelined until the start of October.
“He will be out for probably six weeks,” the club confirmed.
The injury comes less than a fortnight after Scharner penned a two-year deal at Hamburg, having been released from West Brom at the end of last season.
Hamburg coach Thorsten Fink is also set to be without attacking midfielder Tolgay Arslan for around a fortnight after he suffered a hamstring injury.
Real’s Pepe leaves hospital
Real Madrid defender Pepe has been given the green light to return home after spending a day under observation in hospital because of a head injury.
The Portugal international clashed heads with team-mate Iker Casillas in Sunday’s opener against Valencia and had to be replaced at half-time before being taken to hospital.
Pepe has now been given the all-clear to go home and will be monitored by his club’s medical team, with doctor Carlos Diez saying: “Normally when there’s a head injury, we, as a matter of protocol, have the player under observation for 24 hours.”
It remains to be seen if Pepe will be fit to play for Madrid in tomorrow’s Spanish Supercopa first leg against Barcelona at the Nou Camp.