Residents demand immediate removal of campers
Residents of Marsaxlokk said today that they have written to Jason Azzopardi, the minister responsible for lands, and Mario de Marco, minister responsible for the environment, insisting that campers at Maraxlokk must be removed immediately.
In a press conference, the residents said that the fact that the campers had been served with a Mepa enforcement notice to leave Marsaxlokk by the end of the month sent a bad signal and appeared to encourage abuse.
They said campers were occupying public land at Il-Magħluq, il-Ponta ta' qrejten u l-Għar l-aħmar.
Public areas should be returned to the public immediately, the residents said.
The letter was signed by Jean-Claude Micallef.
The residents on Sunday held a protest at Il-Maghluq, Marsaxlokk. The protest turned violent when a group of campers assaulted one of those taking part, punching him several times around the head.