Seabank Hotel re-opened following €32 million project
Mellieħa’s Seabank Resort and Spa, in its new, larger guise following a €32 million project, was inaugurated by Prime Minister Lawrence Gonzi on Thursday.
The all-inclusive hotel, now boasting 500 rooms after an eight-month refit, is currently enjoying full occupancy and is hosting 1,400 guests, Seabank Group chairman Silvio Debono said.
Mr Debono explained that the property now incorporated seven restaurants, the largest hotel pool in Malta surrounded by open spaces equivalent to almost one-and-a-half football pitches, with gardens the size of almost two football pitches.
“It was not easy for us to commit a €32 million investment on the edge of the beautiful Mellieħa Bay while a fierce financial storm was raging in Europe,” Mr Debono said. “But we found the courage, because I always believed in the potential of our staff and management. And I always believed in this country. So far, our efforts and risks seem to be paying off.”
The Seabank Group now owns and operates three resorts, with a total of 2,300 beds, and has an asset base in excess of €80 million and employs 1,000 people.
After acquiring the Pot of Gold guesthouse in Mellieħa Bay in 1984, the Debono family went on to develop the Seabank Hotel, and later acquired the Tunny Net complex and the Porto Azzurro resort nearby. In 2002, the group acquired the Hotel San Antonio and Spa Resort. The group also includes Malta Healthcare Caterers Ltd, Sky Gourmet, and the Hard Rock Café franchise.
It has plans to develop an extension to the Hotel San Antonio and Spa Resort for the property to have a total 298 rooms and 91 timeshare units.