Update 4: Disappointed Chetcuti says "I did my best"
William Chetcuti could not hide his disappointment after placing ninth overall in the double trap shoot at the London Olympics on Thursday. The 27-year-old said that he did his best, but "this was not the day".
Chetcuti was Malta's best hope for a first Olympic medal.
Speaking to TVM minutes after missing out on a place in the final for three places, a visibly dejected Chetcuti said there had been a number of technical problems and he could have done better in the first and third rounds.
As soon as the result was out, his family expressed regret that the popular Maltese sportsman failed to make it.
Both his parents Guzeppi and Carmen, as well as his girlfriend Stephanie, got emotional when they saw him break down on television.
After compiling 43 in the first round and 47 in the second, Chetcuti needed a high score in the final round to force his way in contention for a top six finish.
However, the Manikata-shooter could only manage 45 to finish ninth overall on 135 points.
Britain's Peter Wilson topped the leaderboard on 143 points, three ahead of Russian Vasily Mosin and UAE's Fehaid Aldeehani. Russia's Vitaly Fokin was third on 139 with Sweden's Hakan Dahlby and Richard Bognar, of Hungary, taking the last two spots for this Thursday afternoon's final on 137.