Police lose keys to Wembley
Police guarding Wembley Stadium where Olympic football matches are being played revealed yesterday that they have lost a set of keys to the venue.
Officers searching the stadium in London ahead of the start of the Games misplaced the keys, prompting an investigation by Scotland Yard, but organisers insisted that security has not been compromised.
Organisers stressed that the keys were for internal doors and the relevant locks have now been changed.
No change in Italy Super Cup venue
Finally it’s official... the Italian Super Cup clash between Juventus and Napoli will be played in Beijing on August 11.
The build-up to the Italian season curtain-raiser was shrouded in controversy after Napoli complained that the trip to China was stressful and would leave a negative effect on the squad.
Napoli had asked for the match to be played on two legs on Italian soil. However, their proposal was scruppered by the Italian League and now the game will go ahead as planned.
“We decided, out of the spirit of co-operation, to not create problems for the Lega Calcio. The team will leave for Beijing on August 5,” Napoli president Aurelio De Laurentiis said.
Debuchy wants Newcastle move
Yohan Cabaye is hoping Newcastle can capture France team-mate Mathieu Debuchy after revealing the defender is desperate to follow him to Tyneside.
The Magpies have been trailing the 27-year-old Lille right-back for some time, but have yet to tempt the French club with an offer that comes anywhere near their valuation of him.
However, Cabaye is confident Debuchy wants to come.
“Mathieu has made a difficult to decision to leave Lille, but he has made the decision. Now I hope Newcastle push for Mathieu and I want them to do the deal,” he said.
“I spoke with him two days ago and he told me he wants to come.”
Aquilani decision imminent
Brendan Rodgers says he will make a decision on Alberto Aquilani’s future this week.
Aquilani is determined to prove his worth to Rodgers after spending the last two years on loan back in Italy. The 28-year-old has made just 18 league appearances since joining the Reds in 2009, but speculation continues to link Aquilani with a return to Serie A.
Rodgers is still to decide whether Aquilani will be part of his long-term plans.
“I wanted to assess Alberto over the first few weeks of training. This week, I will make a decision on what’s going to be best for us, whether he will be useful for the group or whether to move on.”
Bale blasts Adam over tackle
Tottenham’s pre-season friendly in America has turned nasty with Gareth Bale launching a scathing post-match attack on Liverpool’s Charlie Adam.
Bale was a victim of Adam’s late tackle on Saturday, suffering a major injury scare to his left ankle before the new Premier League season has already begun.
Adam escaped a FA charge after rupturing Bale’s ankle ligaments and ending the Spurs winger’s season early in May 2011 following a stamp at White Hart Lane.
“He’s obviously come for me twice now – and he’s got me twice,” said Bale.
“I think he’s a bit of a coward. It’s flattering when players try to take you out in a game but when it threatens your career, it becomes more serious than that.”
Ferdinand charged over comments
Rio Ferdinand has been charged by the FA over the comments he made on Twitter following the end of John Terry’s recent trial.
In the aftermath of the trial, when Terry was acquitted of racially abusing Ferdinand’s brother Anton, the Man. United defender responded to a tweet that characterised Chelsea defender Ashley Cole, who was a defence witness in the trial, as a ‘choc-ice’.
The term is commonly understood to mean ‘black on the outside, white on the inside’, and was a reference to Cole’s testimony in court, in which he said he never heard Terry make a racist remark to Ferdinand during the match in question at Loftus Road last year.
Chelsea eye two more signings
Chelsea are eyeing two more signings before concluding their latest summer spending spree, chief executive Ron Gourlay said.
The Blues have done anything but rest on their laurels after their Champions League triumph, splashing out almost £70m on the likes of Eden Hazard, Oscar and Marko Marin.
Gourlay said: “While we ended with a very strong season, it was clear that there were some areas where we did have to strengthen.
“If the right players become available we will sign them. We’ve done that and we are still continuing to look at one or two positions and we will see how that develops.”