Fly around the world in a click
How has technology changed the way we travel, asks Tech Sunday.
• The average traveller visits 22 travel-related websites before booking. Seventeen per cent of European travellers research a trip on a mobile app.
• Those in the 35 to 54 age group consult online travel reviews more than any other group.
• The Airbus A380 has more than four million parts, with 2.5 million part numbers produced by 1,500 companies from 30 countries around the world.
• Only seven per cent of travellers use mobile internet when travelling abroad.
• About one in three business travellers post reviews online of places they have been to.
• There are more Americans with a Facebook account than a passport.
• Eighty-five per cent of leisure travellers consider the internet to be their main source of travel planning.
• Seventy-two per cent of all social network users access their social networking accounts daily while travelling.
• The largest low-cost carrier in the world, Southwest Airlines, is also the king of social media, with more than 2.5 million Facebook likes.
• Sixty-nine per cent of all travel companies saw traffic growth from Facebook and 46 per cent from Twitter.
• Almost half of the world’s travellers use the internet to book their travel. One third of travellers go through travel agents and the rest book direct.
Sources: New Media Trend Watch, Messe Berlin, Marketing Technology magazine.