Advert

Dalli points finger at EU Malta office

John Dalli last week. Photo: Matthew Mirabelli

John Dalli last week. Photo: Matthew Mirabelli

European Commissioner John Dalli told the Nationalist Party executive on Tuesday that attacks against him originated from the EU offices in Malta and Transport Malta.

Sources said Mr Dalli mentioned the EU office, where representatives of the European Com­mission and European Parliament are based, and the Transport Authority without identifying the individuals he believes moun­ted a negative campaign against him last February.

He claims the attacks took place through e-mails and blogs. “I have proof the attacks against me are also originating from the offices of the Transport Authority and the office of the EU in St Paul Street, Valletta,” the sources quoted Mr Dalli saying.

But when contacted yesterday he neither confirmed nor denied the allegation. “What was leaked from the executive is the responsibility of whoever leaked it, but what I said in the executive is confidential and I have always res­pected that confidentiality. I will neither confirm nor deny,” he said.

Martin Bugelli, head of the European Commission Representation in Malta, sounded surprised when contacted yesterday.

“This is the first time I am hearing this accusation. I am not aware of it and I am not privy to what goes on in the PN executive.”

Mr Bugelli said he was not aware any such attack that originated from his office but would only be able to take any action if a formal complaint was made.

“I will have to know what, if any, the accusation against my office is before I could answer your question of what action I will take,” he said.

The Commission representation is there to support the Commission’s work, including Commissioner Dalli, Mr Bugelli added.

Peter Agius, the head of the European Parliament Office in Malta, said he knew “absolutely nothing” about the allegations.

Mr Dalli alleged the same group of people within the PN, whom he claims coordinated attacks against him after the 2004 PN leadership race, renewed their attacks in February when Prime Minister Lawrence Gonzi was the sole candidate in the leadership election.

“They thought I would contest the leadership,” Mr Dalli said, according to the sources.

The Commissioner also accus­ed these PN activists and officials of passing on information about him to the Labour Party.

Mr Dalli forwarded the names of those he suspects to Dr Gonzi during a private meeting on Thursday, but he has refused to make them public. He also reported the anonymous blogs and e-mails to the police earlier this year.

[email protected]

Advert

See our Comments Policy Comments are submitted under the express understanding and condition that the editor may, and is authorised to, disclose any/all of the above personal information to any person or entity requesting the information for the purposes of legal action on grounds that such person or entity is aggrieved by any comment so submitted. Please allow some time for your comment to be moderated.

Comments not loading? We recommend using Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox with javascript turned on.
Comments powered by Disqus  
Advert
Advert