Update 2: JPO publishes list of witnesses
PN says it has not received MP's letter
Jeffrey Pullicino Orlando has published a letter to PN president Marthese Portelli in which he lists witnesses he wishes to be heard to back his claims that Richard Cachia Caruana 'colluded' with Labour officials between 1996 and 1998.
The witnesses are: Police Commissioner John Rizzo, EU Commissioner John Dalli, PL whip Joe Mizzi, PL MP Karmenu Vella and Gordon Pisani, the Head of Communications at the OPM.
Mr Cachia Caruana is denying the claims. The PN Executive is due to meet tomorrow.
Following is Dr Pullicino Orlando's letter:
"Dear Dr. Portelli,
Please find, below, the list of witnesses who will corroborate the points I raised with regards to Mr. Richard Cachia Caruana last week. As discussed, I believe that Mr. Cachia Caruana should be expelled from the Nationalist Party on the following grounds:
1. Colluding with high ranking members of the Labour administration led by Dr. Alfred Sant between 1996 and 1998 in an attempt at furthering his personal interests whilst putting his colleagues in the Nationalist administration led by Dr. Eddie Fenech Adami between 1987 and 1996 in a bad light.
2. Colluding with high ranking officials representing foreign states in a clear attempt at bypassing the Nationalist Party parliamentary group and the Maltese Parliament.
3. Fomenting the unrest which has led to the difficulties being faced by our leader, Dr. Lawrence Gonzi, both within our party and in Parliament.
Even though you informed me this morning that the Administrative Council of our party has given me till Friday to present the list of witnesses, I felt that I should do so today, as previously agreed. I outlined the reasons for doing so during the meeting we had yesterday evening at our headquarters, together with Dr. Paul Borg Olivier and Dr. Tonio Borg.
It is only fair that the list be sent immediately to Mr. Cachia Caruana, as agreed. Mr. Cachia Caruana will obviously be forwarding it to his ‘portavoce’, Mrs. Daphne Caruana Galizia, so I thought it only fair to forward a copy of this letter to real journalists as well.
I will demonstrate that Mr. Cachia Caruana has other contacts in the Labour Party during my presentation to the Executive Committee, as agreed yesterday, on the 17th. It is somewhat surprising that Mr. Cachia Caruana was careless enough to reveal this fact during an interview he gave to the Sunday Times on June 24th. In this interview he mentions his ‘Labour Party contacts’. He admits that these ‘Labour Party contacts’ are providing him with confidential information. I am sure his ‘Labour Party contacts’ would not do so without expecting something in return. His reference to these ‘Labour Party contacts’ is, in itself, an admission of collusion with high-ranking members of the Labour Party. On this particular occasion he was, however, obviously trying to mislead the readers of the Sunday Times. No one was expecting me to vote the way I did on the 18th June, including Mr. Cachia Caruana.
The list of witnesses who will corroborate what I said with regards to Mr. Cachia Caruana are as follows:
1. John Rizzo, Commissioner of Police
2. John Dalli, EU Commissioner
3. Joe Mizzi, Labour Party Parliamentary Group whip
4. Karmenu Vella, Shadow Minister for Finance
5. Gordon Pisani, Head of Communications, OPM
Whilst hoping that this message finds you well, I look forward to seeing you tomorrow at the PN Executive Committee meeting, as scheduled.
Jeffrey Pullicino Orlando M.P. (P.N.)
Dr Pullicino Orlando had voted with the Opposition in a motion which led to Mr Cachia Caruana's resignation from ambassador to the EU. His action was subsequently condemned by the PN Executive.
PN SAYS LETTER NOT RECEIVED
The Nationalist Party in a statement at 8.30 pm. said that while Dr Pullicino Orlando had sent his letter to the media, it had not yet been received by PN Executive president Marthese Portelli.