Dates and events for your diary
• A cold buffet fundraising lunch in aid of the Mission Fund will take place today at Il-Magazzino, Valletta Waterfront, at 12.30 p.m. Tickets cost €14 for adults and €6 for children under 12. Price includes a free raffle ticket. For further details and bookings phone Charles Decelis on 2157 5351 or 9988 5078.
• St Elias College will be open to the public today between 3.30 and 6.30 p.m. Everyone is welcome to visit the college, which is run by the Carmelite Friars.
• St Joseph’s Convent, Sliema, class of 1962, is organising a 50th anniversary reunion, to take place on Wednesday. For details call 2141 7338.
• A talk entitled ‘Honey and its use as alternative medicine’ will take place on Wednesday at the National Council of Women Centre, Pope Pius XII Flats, Mountbatten Street, Blata l-Bajda at 6 p.m. There will be a jewellery exhibition and sale after the talk. Everyone is invited. For bookings and further information call NCW Office on 2124 8881 or 2124 6982, or e-mail [email protected].
• ‘Icons or Idols’ is the title of the next public Christian ecumenical dialogue meeting to be held Malta Ecumenical Council on Thursday from 6 to 7 p.m. at St Andrew’s House, Old Bakery Street, Valletta. All are welcome to attend.
• The Society of Christian Doctrine (MUSEUM), invites the public to a symposium to commemorate the 50th anniversary of the death of San Ġorg Preca. Entitled ‘The world still needs the witness of saints’, the symposium will be held on Friday at St Michael School, St Venera, at 7 p.m. Parking space will be available.
• The Dar Merħba Bik fundraising group will hold a pasta night on Friday at Villa Lija in Lija from 7 p.m. For more information and bookings call 2144 0035 or 9988 2627. Bookings are accepted until Tuesday. The price is €10 for adults and €5 for children under 10.
• A five-a-side football tournament will take place on Friday at the synthetic pitch adjacent the Mqabba Football Club in Triq il-Madonna tal-Gilju, from 8 p.m. onwards. The tournament is being organised by the youth section of Our Lady of Lilies Musical Society. The winning team will be awarded €400 and a participation prize. Application forms and regulations are available from the band club premises in Mqabba Square. Applications must be returned by tomorrow. For more information call 7994 7060 or 9984 2514.
• A fundraising pasta night in aid of the Island Sanctuary will take place on Friday at Il-Coniglio Bar and Restaurant, Xemxija, at 8.30 p.m. The price is €12 for adults, €9 for children under 10. For bookings or more information e-mail [email protected] or call 7901 8901.
• Form 4 students and administrators of Our Lady Immaculate School, Ħamrun, are organising a car wash weekend at Ta’ Qali, taking place on Saturday and next Sunday from 7 a.m. to 8 p.m., in aid of the Community Chest Fund. There will also be music, food, drinks and a bouncy castle.
• The Reflex 80s Party returns to Gianpula on Saturday. Special guest DJ Alberto Palmieri of Rome will play 1980s tunes, followed by DJ and radio presenter Alex Grech who will play a six-hour set on the main stage, along with videos on the big screens. The X-Tend group will also perform their hit song I Can Feel. For tickets, costing €6 each, call 9944 8080. For more information visit www.reflexmalta.com or Facebook.
• A charity fundraising fashion show will be held in the ballroom of the Grand Hotel, Mġarr, Gozo, on Saturday at 8 p.m., featuring bridal and occasional wear. Organised by the Gozo Commandery of the Military and Hospitaller Order of St Lazarus of Jerusalem, the fashion show will not only to raise much needed funds for charity but also to launch the commandery’s grand ball, to be held on June 2. This ancient chivalric order supports in particular the Step by Step Foundation and other local charities. Tickets at €10 each are available at the door or from D Elegance, Fortunato Mizzi Street, Victoria or from Chrissie Scott, e-mail [email protected] or call on 2155 0933.
• A charity car boot sale and car wash, organised by Corinthia Palace Hotel and Spa, will take place next Sunday in the car park next to the Presidential Palace at San Anton. Proceeds will be donated to Beyond the Moon, an international non-profit charitable association that aids seriously ill children. Sellers wishing to reserve a parking space can phone the hotel during office hours on 2544 1401 by not later than tomorrow. Each selling spot is being allocated for €12. Limited selling spaces are available.
• A card games party in aid of the Little Sisters of the Poor will be held at the Preluna Hotel, Sliema, on May 2 from 10 a.m. For bookings and information, phone Blanche Martin on 2133 0387.
• Italian flower arranger Patrizia Di Braida will deliver a lecture and demonstrate her craft on May 3 at the Sea Shells Resort at the Suncrest Hotel, Qawra, at 7 p.m. A floral decoration mounted by Ms Di Braida will be raffled to participants. Attendance fee is €10. For bookings phone Annie Scicluna on 9948 7011 or e-mail [email protected]. Ms Di Braida will give another demonstration on May 6 at 10.30 a.m. at the annual Horticultural Show in San Anton Gardens.
Later next month:
• Hospice Malta will hold a Mother’s Day afternoon tea event at Palazzo de Piro, Mdina (former St Dorothy’s School), on May 10 between 3 p.m. and 6 p.m. The price is a €12 donation. For more information or bookings phone 2144 0085 or e-mail on [email protected]. Gifts by Guinot/Mary Cohr will be given to all guests.
• A charity dinner in aid of Hope Crisis Pregnancy Support will be held on May 12 at the Westin Dragonara, St Julian’s, at 8 p.m. For bookings, call Mary Hilda 9922 4043, Didi on 9944 0288 or Lorna on 9945 8770. Alternatively, send your name, address and number of guests at your table together with a cheque to ‘Gift of Life Foundation’ with your donation (suggested donation is €30 for adults, €10 for children aged 12 and under) to The Treasurer, Tony Camilleri, 229/7 Tower Road, Sliema 1601, by May 7.