Chelsea boss Villas-Boas unsure what future holds
Andre Villas-Boas has admitted for the first time that he could be sacked as Chelsea manager.
Villas-Boas has repeatedly insisted he retains the full backing of billionaire owner Abramovich but has now confessed to the first seeds of doubt about whether he would keep his job.
Speculation has been rife over the future of Villas-Boas during what is currently Chelsea’s worst season since Abramovich joined the club in 2003.
Saturday’s 3-0 thumping of Bolton ended a miserable run of five games without a win and four victories from 14, easing the pressure on Villas-Boas.
In an interview with Portuguese radio station TSF, the 34-year-old reiterated he felt he retained the “confidence” of Abramovich.
But he compared his situation to that of Carlo Ancelotti, who the Russian sacked at the end of a trophyless season in May.
“We are now in the exact same moment as last year,” Villas-Boas said.
“It is an exact copy. The pattern of behaviour of the owner has led to a (manager’s) downfall in similar situations or even ‘better’ situations.
“What will be the reaction?
“It will be one of the two, a continuation of the project and full support or just the cultural pattern that has happened before. We don’t know.”
Villas-Boas declared almost two weeks ago that Abramovich’s support was all he needed to sustain him amid reports of dressing room unrest which have continued to surface.
Saturday’s win saw Frank Lampard admit his relationship with Villas-Boas had “not been ideal”, while other players are said to have had reservations about Jose Mourinho’s former assistant.