‘Bling’ dummies pose health risk
Dozens of “potentially lethal” dummies covered in small gems have been seized amid fears they could cause choking and lung problems if they are swallowed, trading standards officers warned yesterday.
The “bling” products for babies and toddlers are adorned with small coloured gems attached with glue and safety tests revealed these could pose a serious health risk.
Officers from Surrey County Council trading standards seized 80 of the dummies during an operation at Kempton Park market, near Sunbury, last Thursday.
It is thought that the dummies are genuine brands which have had the hand-glued gems added to them.
Officers fear dozens of baby bottles covered with the same plastic stones could also be in circulation.
Trading standards officers warned the plastic stones could easily fall off and form clumps which could lead to choking if swallowed.
It is also feared that individual gems could be inhaled and become lodged in a child’s lung.
Kay Hammond, the council’s cabinet member for community safety, said: “These dummies and bottles will appeal to babies and toddlers because they sparkle and look fun, but they are potentially lethal. I would urge parents to take them away from their children to avoid the risk of choking.
“Anyone caught selling ‘bling’ dummies or bottles could face a fine of up to £20,000.”
Trading standards officers are also concerned about the sale of “bling” dummy clips, chains and holders, as well as magnetic dummies.