Barca’s Pedro out for two weeks
Barcelona forward Pedro will be out for around two weeks with an ankle injury.
The Tenerife-born winger was forced off in the 55th minute of Barca’s 1-0 Primera Division win away to struggling Granada with what appeared to be a nasty injury.
However, the club have revealed early tests allayed fears of long-term damage and Pedro was to have further examinations yesterday.
A statement read: “The club’s medical services’ first examinations revealed he had not suffered a broken bone, but had damaged the tendons in his left ankle and is expected to be out for between 10 and 16 days.”
Cheap 2014 tickets for Brazilians
FIFA will make half-price tickets available for Brazilians aged 65 and over at the 2014 World Cup finals, amid plans to make all tickets cheaper for fans from the host nation.
Jerome Valcke, secretary general of world football’s governing body, said in an interview published in Folha de Sao Paulo that half-price tickets could not be made available to other specific groups, such as “blood donors, students or former players”.
FIFA and the Brazilian government are at loggerheads over the sale of cheap tickets to students, in line with Brazilian law, and over the sale of alcohol in stadia, with Valcke insisting cheaper tickets across the board is a more viable option.
UEFA delay Rooney ban explanation
UEFA will wait another week before telling the FA their written reasons for the three-match ban that threatens to deny Wayne Rooney the chance to star at Euro 2012.
The English FA had expected to hear from UEFA today with the explanation for the length of Rooney’s suspension after his red card for kicking Miodrag Dzudovoic during the recent 2-2 draw with Montenegro.
If the FA’s chiefs feel UEFA don’t have a strong enough case for giving Rooney a ban that could end his participation in the tournament they will appeal in a bid to get the punishment reduced.
Sawa tops women’s award shortlist
Homare Sawa, the star of Japan’s triumphant World Cup campaign in the summer, and Brazil’s Marta head the list of nominees for the FIFA women’s Ballon d’Or award.
The 33-year-old Sawa, competing in her fifth World Cup, led Japan to glory with a penalty shoot-out win in the final against the United States, and won the Golden Boot as the tournament’s leading scorer.
Marta, 25, who won the USA Professional Soccer title last season with Western New York Flash, has dominated the award in recent years.
The list will be reduced to three names on December 5, with the winner being revealed at a ceremony in Zurich, Switzerland, on January 9.
Bannan suspended by Aston Villa
Barry Bannan has been suspended by Aston Villa while the club carry out an internal inquiry after the midfielder was involved in a motorway car crash during the early hours of Sunday morning.
Bannan was arrested by police on suspicion on drink driving – along with Shrewsbury striker James Collins, a former Villa player – and subsequently bailed.
Villa boss Alex McLeish, in a media statement, said: “Barry Bannan has been suspended while the club carries out internal enquiries into allegations which arose last weekend.
“He will not be available for this weekend’s game at Sunderland.”
Tevez expected to fight City fine
Carlos Tevez is expected to appeal after being found guilty of misconduct by his club.
Late Tuesday, Manchester City announced they had effectively concluded that Tevez did refuse to play against Bayern Munich last month and have fined him four weeks’ wages.
Reports said the Argentinian will contest the ruling and he is even considering suing manager Roberto Mancini for defamation over his post-match comments.
Mancini claimed Tevez had refused to play as a substitute during the second half of the 2-0 Champions League loss on September 27 and was “finished” at the club as a result.
Tevez denied the allegation and blamed a misunderstanding, claiming he thought he was being asked to warm up and he felt that was unnecessary.
AVB happy with refs despite rant
Andre Villas-Boas is not unhappy with the standard of refereeing in the Premier League, despite the Chelsea boss making a second phone call to Mike Riley already this season to complain about the quality of officiating.
Villas-Boas on Tuesday revealed he had contacted referees’ chief Riley over the performance of Chris Foy in the Blues’ controversial 1-0 defeat at QPR on Sunday.
Villas-Boas also criticised the standard of officiating in his side’s matches at Stoke and Manchester United but he declared he was not upset with the quality of referees.
“No, this is the best league in the world. I don’t think that reflects the standard,” he said.