Custody for man charged with setting door on fire
A 35-year-old man from Zebbug has been remanded in custody after pleading not guilty to setting fire to a door in Qormi last Wednesday afternoon.
Police Inspectors Anthony Portelli and Alexandra Zammit told the court they suspected Martin Marco Baldacchino, of Zebbug, had been commissioned to do the crime.
The inspectors said Mr Baldacchino, who had a serious drug problem, was rather uncooperative in the investigations. They said he caused more than €2,000 worth of damage.
Defence lawyer Gavin Gulia agreed that his client had a serious drug problem.
The police, however, pointed out that three months ago Mr Baldacchino had been granted bail in an unrelated case and given the opportunity to reform.
But not only did he fail to take this opportunity, he committed a more serious crime.
The magistrate ordered that Mr Baldacchino, who was also charged with breaching bail conditions, be given the necessary drug treatment and transferred to Mount Carmel, if need be, for his psychological issues to be dealt with.