Cisse eyes return to Les Bleus fold
Striker Djibril Cisse has set out his determination to win back a place in the France squad after his move from Panathinaikos to Lazio. The 30-year-old has won 40 caps for his country, scoring nine goals, but has played only three times since leaving Marseille in 2008.
Cisse is hopeful a move to the more prestigious Serie A will bring him back into Les Bleus coach Laurent Blanc’s thoughts, and said: “I still have life in my legs.
“I had two super seasons with Panathinaikos, but obviously it was not enough.
“I know what I am worth, I know what I want and I am not dead as far as the France team is concerned. Is the Greek league not strong enough? We will see this season.”
Afellay going nowhere – agent
The agent of Barcelona winger Ibrahim Afellay has dismissed reports linking his client with a move to Serie A.
Italian media has reported that the 25-year-old Holland international is a transfer target for both Juventus and Lazio, but agent Rob Jansen insists Afellay had no intention of leaving the club he only joined in January.
“There has been no contact with Juventus or Lazio,” Jansen said.
“Afellay is happy in Spain and will continue to be a Barcelona player next season, I am 100% certain.”
The former PSV player recently signed a contract extension at the Nou Camp until 2015.
Inter complete Jonathan deal
Inter have completed the signing of Brazilian defender Jonathan from Santos, the club confirmed yesterday.
The 25-year-old had been training with Inter last week ahead of making his permanent move to the Serie A club.
Jonathan joins the club for an undisclosed fee and has signed a four-year contract with the Nerazzurri outfit.
“Jonathan has signed a contract with Inter until June 30, 2015,” the club confirmed.
The South American player helped Santos win the Copa Libertadores earlier this year.
Arsenal set to sign striker Campbell
Arsenal are keen on signing promising 19-year-old Costa Rica striker Joel Campbell.
The daily Al Dia said that the London club’s scout for the region, Richard Law, had arrived in the Central American country accompanied by the agent Joaquim Batica, supposedly with the aim of sealing a deal for Campbell, who plays for Deportivo Saprissa in San Jose.
“Once we have spoken with Saprissa, we will be able to give more information,” Batica was quoted as saying.
Campbell started all three of a young Costa Rican side’s games at the Copa America, and scored in their 2-0 win over Bolivia.
Aguero can play for City says Mancini
Manchester City manager Roberto Mancini has confirmed his interest in Argentina striker Sergio Aguero should his international team-mate Carlos Tevez get his wish and move away from the Etihad Stadium.
Aguero said that a move to England would be of interest to him, with Chelsea also having been linked to the 23-year-old Atletico Madrid man.
Tevez has told City he wants to leave in order to spend more time with his children, although the club are understood to want in the region of £50 million for him.
Mancini said: “Sergio Aguero is young and he can score a lot of goals like Carlos.”
Aguero has also been linked with a move to rivals Real Madrid as well as Juventus.
Sandro injury blow for Tottenham
Tottenham midfielder Sandro is expected to be out of action for three months after undergoing knee surgery.
The 22-year-old returned to London last week after suffering the injury on international duty with Brazil and now looks likely to miss the first two months of the new season.
Tottenham said: “Following consultation with an independent knee specialist, Sandro under-went surgery on his left knee in London.
The specialist has advised a three-month rehabilitation period before a return to full training.”
Sandro was sent for a scan after complaining of pains in both his calves and his knee in training during Brazil’s Copa America campaign in Argentina.
Lucarelli stays on with Napoli
Napoli president Aurelio De Laurentiis has confirmed that Cristiano Lucarelli will remain at the club next season.
The 35-year-old striker had been linked with a move away from the Stadio San Paolo, with his current deal having expired.
Lucarelli is now set to sign a one-year contract extension with Napoli.
“I spoke to Lucarelli and to (Napoli coach Walter) Mazzarri and we all agreed that Lucarelli will be part of the team next season,” De Laurentiis said.
“Lucarelli is Napoli’s ninth acquisition this summer.”
The Italian forward joined Napoli from Livorno in 2010 but injuries limited Lucarelli to just nine league appearances last term.