University retakes possession of all of its old Valletta building
The University of Malta has returned to the second floor of the Old University Building, which it had moved out of in 1978 when the campus at Tal-Qroqq was inaugurated.
The newly refurbished floor was inaugurated today by the Prime Minister.
When the University moved to Tal-Qroqq, only one floor of the historic Valletta building, that dates back to the second half of the 16th century, was retained.
The Valletta building had been the seat of learning for the University since its inception in 1592.
The refurbishment was undertaken in two phases. The first phase that cost €270,000 involved the development of one wing to house the newly launched International Masters Programmes (IMP) in September 2009. This wing consisted of two lecture rooms that can seat up to 30 students together with two breakout rooms and two offices.
The second phase of the refurbishment, which has just been completed at a cost of €460,000, has added a lecture room that can take up to 50 participants, a multifunctional hall with retractable seating that can take up to 220 persons and which can be subdivided with a moveable acoustical partition, an office and atrium. The second floor is also fully serviced with air conditioning, ventilation, Wifi, fire and security alarms, an audio system and CCTV.
More recently, the ground floor of the building also become available to the University so that the Valletta campus now incorporates the entire historic seat of the University of Malta. The refurbishment of this part including the central courtyard, will be the focus of future restoration and refurbishment to allow hosting of other academic functions.