Homes Coordinator asks court to stop minister from sacking her
A Homes Programme Coordinator within the Ministry of Education, Employment and the Family, has asked a court to issue a warrant of prohibitory injunction against the minister, Dolores Cristina, to stop her dismissal from the job.
Marisa Bartolo said she had been engaged on April 16, 2009 on an indefinite contract and one year probation to work as Homes Programme Coordinator based at Conservatorio Vincenzo Bugeja.
On May 25 she was suspended from work and a Board of Investigation was set up to report on allegations of abuse on the residents.
She said that she was never asked to reply to the allegations but on July 20 she was informed that the board had concluded that: "Mrs Marisa Bartolo's training and extensive experience in the police force have formed her and conditioned her behaviour to date. More than 12 months of direction from the HD, role modelling and feedback from the other members of staff have not yielded the desired changes. Her position with the Conservatorio setup is therefore considered untenable."
Mrs Bartolo said the minister had therefore ordered her dismissal as from July 31 even though she had not undergone disciplinary proceedings.
Dr Anglu Farrugia signed the request for the warrant.