Return the monument to the square and correct the Main Guard's inscription (2)
It has been stated that during the works carried out on St George's Square for the recent inauguration, the Latin inscription on the façade of the Main Guard was restored.
The Main Guard, as Guardia del Palazzo, was completed around 1617 by Grand Master Alof de Wignacourt. The inscription existing today is not the original one placed in the early years of British rule (before June 24, 1815) which was so weather-beaten that it was officially broken and thrown down on June 26, 1851. Apparently, the pieces were not preserved and, when it was replaced by a new one, the last word became Confirmat while the original one, according to Marquis Cassar Desain, was the correct Confirmant.