One World - Protecting the most significant buildings, monuments and features of Maltese Islands (17)
Niċċa ta' l-Infetti, Triq l-Imrieħel, Birkirkara
The niche located in Triq l-Imrieħel, Birkirkara, was constructed between 1814 and 1816 by the Parnis family as a reminder of the plague victims of 1813. The niche is located in close proximity to the former cemetery constructed purposely for the plague victims from which it derives its name.
The niche is about 25 courses high and is constructed in the form of a bell tower. It can be accessed by means of an external staircase. The niche has three openings and contains a painting representing souls in purgatory. The uppermost part is embellished by two sculptures representing two souls emerging from the flames. The elevated parapet may have been used during remembrance celebrations for the plague victims.
The niche was at risk of damage from adjacent road and service trenching works and through MEPA's positive intervention the damage was averted.
MEPA scheduled the Niche as a Grade 1 national monument as per Government Notice number 492/068 in the Government Gazette dated 6 June March 2006.