Advert

Gascoigne released after arrest

Paul Gascoigne, 38, once one of England's finest soccer players, was released yesterday after being questioned by police on suspicion of assaulting a man in the northwestern city of Liverpool.

A police source said Gascoigne had been arrested at about 11.30 p.m. on Monday after an alleged assault on a photographer.

Merseyside police confirmed a 38-year-old man from Gateshead had been arrested and was quizzed by officers.

He was released on police bail yesterday afternoon.

Gascoigne's arrest marks a new low for a man whose soccer talents once wowed fans and led footballing pundits to compare him with other on-pitch giants such as Pele and George Best.

However, over the past few years, Gascoigne - known as "Gazza" by millions of fans - increasingly found himself on the front pages of newspapers for his drinking exploits.

The arrest came after non-league club Kettering sacked him as manager, less than two months after he was appointed.

Gascoigne admitted on Monday he had drunk alcohol before a recent match, but remained in control.

"So what... I had a double brandy before the game," he said.

Advert

Comments are submitted under the express understanding and condition that the editor may, and is authorised to, disclose any/all of the above personal information to any person or entity requesting the information for the purposes of legal action on grounds that such person or entity is aggrieved by any comment so submitted.

At this time your comment will not be displayed immediately upon posting. Please allow some time for your comment to be moderated before it is displayed.

For more details please see our Comments Policy

Comments not loading? We recommend using Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox with javascript turned on.
Comments powered by Disqus
Advert
Advert